Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Foolproof Guide to Making (And Keeping) Friends

      "How do you type a farting noise?"

      "Who else has NO idea what Farenheit degrees mean?"

      "Hey everyone, looking forward to getting to know you all! Just so that you all know, I think I'm a gay horse trapped in a young boy's body..."

      As I look at these posts in the class of 2017 Facebook group for the college that I have committed to, I cannot help but wonder, what exactly have I gotten myself into? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, these are all real and recent posts on the page. I have not yet decided if I find them humorous, pathetic, or just plain unsettling.  As the days fly by and graduation rapidly approaches, I come closer and closer to finally facing the bittersweet reality that my days in the safety of the bubble of Chagrin Falls will soon come to an end when I move to New York this fall.  Frightening, I know.  Inevitably, moving away will create endings to so many of the things that I have come to know and love, but, as always, with endings come new beginnings.  Which will undoubtedly prove more difficult for me to handle than the endings. As a generally quiet, introverted person, I tend to have a bit of trouble making friends.  To put this in perspective, I have had the same group of five friends since I moved here in first grade. Sure, I picked up a few acquaintances along the way, but for the most part the group remained constant. So, when I immerse myself in a diverse and completely new community in the fall, I have devised a foolproof plan for making (and keeping) friends. The first and only rule: act mysteriously.  Not in a weird "gay horse trapped in a young boy's body" kind of way, but more so in a way that prompts others to ask questions.  And, hopefully, intrigues them.  Maybe, if I pull it off well, I might even fascinate them with my wild (and completely true) stories about chasing lambs around milkshake stands.  And my naturally sketchy personality.  Hopefully, if all goes according to plan, my mysteriousness will attract the attention of many, and I will not have to put much effort forth into making friends.  And who knows? I might end up teaching my future roommate how to type farting noises.

4 comments:

  1. You bring up an interesting point about Facebook pages for our future classes. I myself have not joined my Facebook page, mainly because I do not want my presence known to anyone so they can check out my profile, nor do I want my phone to vibrate every five seconds every time a "gay horse" decides to post some crucial tidbit on the wall. While this behavior may seem introverted, perhaps it will aid me in the future if I decide to embrace the status of "the mysterious unknown."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find the Facebook pages very interesting. After reading through many posts bizarre posts on the website "Accepted! 2017," I expected to find similar comments on my college's page. However, the page has left me disappointed but also, relieved. Instead of somewhat disturbing comments, I have found numerous posts of normal students introducing themselves and looking for roommates. Regardless of their constant search for future roommates, I too have decided that I like "the mysterious unknown" and prefer to have a random roommate next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, I agree with your assessment of social networking sites. After browsing post after post of queer proclamations on online college admittance pages, it makes me wonder, if not obsess over, the future ahead of me. What exactly have we gotten ourselves into? However, while that uncertainty partially makes me feel fear, I think layers of excitement come packaged with that bundle of anxious emotion. A time to explore, step out of our comfort zones, and experience new things lies due north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find these stories highly amusing as I have also questioned people's posts on some of the college admission pages on facebook. One of my college admission pages kept saying that they would send out decisions extremely soon and their ambiguity seemed to irk some of the prospective students. This prompted complaints and a gif of a slow moving sloth which people directed at the admissions representatives. I found their braveness to do so under their names startling yet admirable.

    ReplyDelete