Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Expand Your Horizons! (And Your Vocabulary)

Dear Anonymous,
      I have to admit that I felt surprised when I found your letter on my desk--I do not normally concern myself with the romantic drama of young women such as yourself, and thus it has taken me some time to come up with an appropriate response to your plea for help.  But, as class Valedictorian, I do feel that I can effectively offer you meaningful advice. After a bit of thought and critical analyzation of your situation, I would advise you to let your boyfriend go.  If he no longer feels satisfied with you, do not act so desperately as to keep holding on.  Let him go.  Move on with your life. You deserve better.  Read a book.  Write a poem.  Better yet, write a novel!  Let this experience mold you into a better person--use it to your advantage.  Immerse yourself in the world of literature, and who knows? Perhaps one day you too will become Valedictorian of your class.  Perhaps.  You need to work hard and dedicate yourself to something worthwhile (I suggest an in-depth study of the English language).  I cannot emphasize it enough--without hard work, you will amount to nothing.  Push yourself.  Envision yourself as valedictorian.  Make that your ultimate goal.  Before you know it, thoughts of how intelligent you will have become will replace any lingering sentiments that you may still feel toward this soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend, and soon you will forget him altogether! Envision yourself in a world filled with nothing but knowledge and the subsequent happiness that will inevitably ensue.  Expand your horizons!  (And your vocabulary!)  Read about Jay Gatsby's parties and dramatic Shakespearean love stories and depressed old ladies.  Educate yourself about HeLa cells and high school football in Texas and cold-blooded murder.  Analyze poems about plums and teachers romantically involved with their students.  Allow this experience to transform you into the person who you have subconsciously always wanted to become.

Ms. Serensky

P.S. Oh, and take a Zumba class.  You will undoubtedly thank me later.

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha I love this post Victoria. I really enjoy the allusions to the books we have read in our years with Ms. Serensky and also your subtle references to her Valedictorian days. Also, I feel that this may best represent the way Ms. Serensky would actually respond to the girl for she speaks harshly yet does not belittle her too much. Finally, I concur that the Zumba class definitely will come in handy when the girl feels ready to re-enter the dating world because men love a girl that can boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your post, Victoria, and I think it holds sound advice not only for those struggling with romantic issues, but also for people, like me, who await college decisions. For the past week, as I have received emails reminding me that decision portals will open in a week or so, I have prepared myself for the worst. I have reminded myself that I should not ruminate over the rejections letters that I may receive. Everything works out how it should and I should simply let go and move on with my life. It has yet to work, but hopefully, as I read my fate in two weeks or so, I will pick myself up, dust myself off, and continue on with my life. We shall see. If not, perhaps I should take up Zumba as a means of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria, like Meghan, I enjoyed your post and feel that it applies to situations other than romantic ones. Personally, I appreciate the encouragement you offer about dedicating oneself to something worthwhile. Hard work and determination can truly bring you farther than anything else. If I have learned anything in high school, I believe that this remains the most important.

    ReplyDelete